I like to say that after spending more than ten years representing Canada around the world I am now a retired world champion hurdler in the midst of her second act. I’m happy to report that this new chapter does not include scaling over waist high barriers or training twenty-five hours a week. But it does include cupcakes. Yup lots of cupcakes!
I have a few new titles these days, like mom, author, wife, TV host, sports broadcaster, public speaker and connoisseur of red velvet cake.
I love sharing my experiences of triumph and adversity as a public speaker. I’ve recently written my first book, My Mother’s Daughter, (Doubleday Canada, March 2021) which details the highs and lows of my athletic career as well as being a child witness to domestic violence and homelessness.
I’m a supporter of The Denise House, the women’s emergency shelter in Oshawa, Ontario that helped me and my family get on our feet in 1987. As well as Right to Play and The Toronto Public Library’s outreach program, Operation Fact Finder, which reaches 40,000 elementary school students and helps to foster the love of reading. Today I’m proud to say that I’ve spoken at more than 200 schools and after school programs across the country.
I’m obsessed with my husband Morgan and our baby daughter, Nova.
I was born in Oshawa, Ontario, to a wonderful woman named Cathy, who immigrated to Canada from St. Lucia. I have three beautiful sisters and one pretty cool brother.
In 2004 I graduated with honours with a Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology from The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I’m a graduate of Seneca Colleges’ Broadcast Institute (2013) and University of Chicago’s Writer’s Studio (2017.)
I love to read, travel, dress up, and try new recipes!
Six Fun Facts
- My favourite book is The Color Purple by Alice Walker.
- True story: My mom got my name from the Price is Right game show.
- I once missed a race because I decided to take a nap right before and accidentally slept through the whole final. Yikes!
- I’m afraid of heights but totally jumped out of a plane once, (never again!)
- If I could have dinner with anyone no longer on this earth I’d pick my grandmother.
- Favourite thing to eat? Umm… everything!